Kogi Director Did Not Commit Suicide, Died of Stroke – Police


The Kogi Police Command Monday in Lokoja described as misleading, reports in the media that a civil servant in the state killed himself recently due to non-payment of his salaries.

Police investigations report proved that Mr Edward Soje, 54, who was a director in the state civil service, did not commit suicide as wrongly reported in the media.

The reports further proved that the deceased had partial stroke and might have died of medical conditions related to that, adding that “he did not leave suicide note as rumoured.”

According to the police, there could be “foul play” in the suicide saga. This police position has further confirmed the speculations as reported that the suicide thing could have been stage managed.

The Public Relations Officer of the Command, William Ovie Aya, who related this to the press in the Confluence City, advised journalists to always consult the police before publishing security related stories.

Mr Aya urged the media to allow the Police to complete investigations before they are reported, saying misrepresented facts could cause crisis in the society.

The Police image maker, who revealed that their investigation showed that the “man suffered partial stroke and was placed on drugs before the unfortunate incident.”

He dismissed the suicide report as untrue and warned the public from peddling dangerous rumours.

“Members of the public should desist from painting the public space with unconfirmed stories because such rumours are capable of causing breach to public peace. Kogi State Police Command is on top of the situation” the PPRO stressed.

He narrated how the command was informed by the Army Command Records in Lokoja immediately Mr Soje’s body was found, saying that his office quickly mobilised and moved the body to the mortuary where autopsy was carried out.

Mr.Aya further said the police later found out through the Doctor that carried out the autopsy that late Mr.Soje had suffered partial stroke and was on medication before his sudden demise.

“When the issue happened, no one came to the police to confirm the story to find out the true position of things before going to town with the story of death as a result of unpaid salaries,” he informed journalists.

“The police have made progress in its investigation over the matter and would make its findings public when it is concluded.”

The Police spokesman assured the public that the Nigeria Police in Kogi State would continue to ensure the safety of lives and property of the people.